No time to exercise? Full Time Job? That’s Not a problem for Christal
No time to exercise? Well, working a full time job has not stopped Christal, 37 yrs old, from living a healthy lifestyle. From having been a size 16 before, Christal was able to start a fitness regimen that she can sustain despite her hectic schedule. She keeps herself motivated by doing dynamic workouts that excites her mind and her body. She loves doing exercises that can be done on the comforts of her home. Read more to know more about Christal and her story.
1. What is your name and age?
My name is Christal and I am 37 years old.
2. What inspired you to get fit?
I don’t think it was what inspired me to get fit; it was more like what scared me into getting fit. Twelve years ago, I was 191lbs and had no choice but to buy a size 16 jean and that’s when I knew I was on the same path as my parents. It was then that I started my fitness journey to a healthy me!
3. Describe yourself in three words.
4. What keeps you motivated to live the healthy life?
I keep myself motivated by constantly changing my workouts. By changing my workouts frequently, I don’t get bored and my body is constantly challenged. Seeing a muscle become visible that wasn’t just a few months prior motivates me to stay the course. My son’s enthusiasm to working out next to me and cheering me on also is a motivator. I also get inspired and motivated by other people’s fitness journeys.
5. What time of the day do you workout and why?
I work full-time and commute just about an hour each way. My alarm is set for 5:45 a.m. I choose not to set it any earlier for a workout. It wouldn’t be beneficial for me, my family, or my coworkers to endure my cranky side for the day. I am a night person so I workout at night! That’s when my beast mode is on and ready for the gym or home workouts.
6. How do you balance life, work, training and family?
Oh is that what I am supposed to do balance? LOL. In all honesty, right when I think I am balancing and juggling all of what life throws at me, I hear one of life’s demands screaming for additional attention. Organizing changing work schedules with kid’s activities and needs is a challenge, so I adapt according to those demands. The one thing I find most helpful is to calendar EVERYTHING on my iPhone.
7. What do you for fun?
I play women’ s fours sand volleyball every Thursday for my ‘me’ time. I have been playing sand volleyball for 10+ years. I am competitive and enjoy the banter we share on the court.
8. What do you think is the biggest misconception about women in fitness?
I think the most common misconception for women is that you have to spend all your time on the cardio machines to lose weight and look toned. It’s rare that I see women in the free weight section of the gym. Lift some weights girls and define those sexy muscles!
9. What is your favorite body part to exercise?
I get excited when it’s arm and shoulder day. I love the feeling of exhaustion in my arms when I reach for my water bottle and struggle to lift it to my mouth or overturn my steering wheel in the parking lot of the gym after an arm workout.
10. If you had to pick three key exercises – what would they be and why?
- Pushups you don’t need any equipment, you can do them anywhere and there are many variations to prevent monotony. Even beginners can do a modified pushup against the wall until they can build strength to do them on the floor.
- Squats again you can do them anywhere and you will see results quickly.
- Stability ball exercises they are so good for core exercise. My favorite is the jackknife crunches.
11. If you compete, what excites you the most about competing?
I do not compete but I can appreciate the hard work and dedication that goes into it their journey.
12. What are the three things you always have in your gym bag?
You will find workout gloves, water bottle, and my earbuds in my gym bag.
13. What is your favorite cheat ‘treat’?
I love Trader Joe’s Dark Chocolate Peanut Butter Cups.
14. Anything else you would like us to know?
As a mother of one, I still wrestle the ‘mommy guilt’ to take time away and choose to exercise. By doing home workouts, my son sees my dedication to staying fit and healthy. It blows me away that at age 7 he knows exercises and healthy food options that I learned about as an adult. I feel that I am giving him a better start to his life’s journey than I had.
Lastly, I enjoy Affitnity’s clothing line because it’s unique just like me! I love the Affitnity spider back top because it exposes my back muscles.
15. Web Address?
Facebook: Fitness & Health for Working Moms
Photo Credits to: Jenn Roberts Photography (Facebook FanPage)Tags: Affitnity clothing line, full time work, pushups, squats, stability ball exercises