Jennifer Kees Wearing Affitnity One Shoulder Sports Bra
I am so exited to be featuring our first FIT client! She is a successful pole dance fitness studio owner from Iowa. She is fit, confident and a mom (which I didn’t know!!). Pole dance fitness is an empowering and “sexy” workout that tones your entire body. As you can see her body is rockin’.
She was recently featured on the cover of Q Magazine. A local publication from Iowa. I was thrilled to see that she had chosen to wear our Fit One Shoulder Sports Bra for this photo-shoot! How cool!!
I hope you enjoy this interview as much as I did. I was inspired by her knowledge and energy! Make sure to leave a comment with your thoughts.
1. What is your name and age?
Jennifer Kees/Age 39
2. What inspired you to get fit?
I’ve been a fitness/dance fanatic since the age of 14. Over the years ALL forms of fitness and dance have inspired me. Most recently my obsession is pole fitness. I opened the first pole studio (Kees Camp) in Iowa 6 years ago and being able to see my body change and get stronger, as well as my clients bodies & confidence grow inspires me to keep going!
3. Describe yourself in three words.
ENERGETIC! Caring. Positive.
4. What keeps you motivated to live the healthy life?
I have a beautiful family, husband of 14 years and 2 amazing children (ages 11 & 13)…along with my family and my business as a Fitness Studio owner; this is my career – LIVING HEALTHY! I really feel like I chose the best career anyone could ever choose. Everyday I get to not only make a difference in my health, but in all of my clients too. Most rewarding job a girl could ask for!
5. What time of the day do you workout and why?
I prefer the mornings so I can just roll outta bed and “get ‘er done”, but I personally work out all hours of the day and love it all!
6. How do you balance life, work, training and family?
Balancing all the wonderful aspects of life takes a strong family. My husband, kids and I work on fine-tuning that each and every day. That’s the key…you never STOP working at balance…it changes often, you need to change with it.
7. What do you for fun?
For fun, I love to go dancing! Period. Always have. Always will. I usually have to be escorted out of the clubs at closing time, as I never want the music to end!
Jennifer wearing AFFITNITY One Shoulder Sports Bra
8. What do you think is the biggest misconception about women in fitness?
There is a lot of pressure this decade, more than I’ve seen in the past decade of my 21-year fitness career, on women getting more muscular. Take it from me, a former award winning bodybuilder, I love muscle, I love building muscle, I love all that I’ve accomplished with my muscularity over the years, but having done a lot of the heavy lifting, split routines, power lifting, etc. I don’t feel like its for everyone and there’s definitely NOT enough discussion about joint & ligament health, not to mention a lack of emphasis on the benefits of stretching. I want all women to be safe while getting fit, staying fit and living their best life! Lifting heavy weights is not my preference any longer (as it once was), but being able to manage my own body weight, the body that I exist in, is what is most important to me and I use these methods in all of my training principles.
9. What is your favorite body part to exercise?
My absolute favorite body part to exercise is my pecs. I love the feeling of a powerful push-up, chest press, chest fly, etc. I love the control I have of my pecs while lowering it (in a push-up) as well as pressing my body away from the floor. I love that having a strong set of pecs helps keep that “natural fatty breast tissue” up and in its place…right where it belongs. Second favorite is BUTT!
10. If you had to pick three key exercises – what would they be and why?
- Push-Ups: Works a mass unit of space in the upper body. It teaches any human, when done properly, to pull in the abs, to relax the joints and to isolate ALL the muscles of the solar plexus. I love that a push-up goes with you ANYWHERE ANYTIME! I love that push-ups work not only your pecs, but also your triceps, shoulders, a little on back and biceps as well!
- Walking Lunges: Another exercise that can go with you anywhere. Walking lunges when done properly should never, ever hurt the knees. Something I always say to my clients is, “If you feel it in your knees, its IN your knees” and lunges should be felt in the glutes, hamstrings and quads (and in that order); when done right and with perfect posture, walking lunges are an excellent dynamic exercise for strong legs & core. You should always be able in life to reach down to grab things AND get back up.
- Hanging Abs: Last exercise as my personal favorite are Hanging Abs. This exercise defies the laws of gravity and that’s my specialty these days as an aerial artist in pole fitness and dance. I have arm straps that assist me when I’m maxing out reps, but if I don’t have those with me, I can hop up on monkey bars anywhere, anytime and perform hanging abs from a wide pull-up or a chin-up position. Hanging abs works the deep layers of the abs, the external layers, the sides the uppers, the outers and even your lower lumbar…you name it, you’re not getting out of solar plexus training when it comes to hanging abs.
11. If you compete, what excites you the most about competing?
Hands down the performance. I have competed in bodybuilding in the past and I absolutely love creating a mood with the audience. I love to razzle, dazzle and make them sit on the edge of their seats!
12. What is the best advice you can give someone that is considering entering the competition arena?
If you’re not going to train to WIN…than you’re not ready.
13. What are the three things you always have in your gym bag?
- Lots of water
- Good shoes (new cross trainers every 3-4 months)
- Great music
14. What is your favorite cheat “treat”?
15. Anything else you would like us to know?
I believe that fitness is personal, that it comes in many forms and that it is your responsibility to find an activity, no matter what that is, that stimulates your mind, body and soul. Our bodies are the only thing we truly own in this world…wouldn’t you want it to perform to the best of its abilities? In doing so you not only create a stronger, wiser, healthier YOU, but you attract a stronger, wiser healthier culture of people around you as well. It’s proven to be a wonderful way of living for me for 25+ years now and I have no desire to stop.
Jennifer’s website: http://keescampstore.com